Car enthusiasts all have a different pick for a “perfect driver’s car.” However, it’s safe to say that most would put the E30 BMW M3 in the top five. With a lively engine, five-speed manual, and steering that isn’t matched by any modern BMW, the E30 has steadily gained value as a drivable classic. This moderate-mileage driver quality example has been very well kept, maintained, and is in top mechanical shape. Whether you’re looking to have some Saturday fun in the canyons or turn heads at the local car show, this car will not dissapoint. We are delighted to offer this 1988 BMW M3 with a clean California title and 177k miles.
- This 1988 BMW E30 M3 was acquired by the seller from the original owner 3 years ago. The original owner purchased this M3 at BMW of San Diego in 1988. Since purchase the seller has stored the car in his collection and exercised it locally in San Diego, CA.
- The car was resprayed in Diamond Schwarz Metallic during original ownership.
- According to the seller, the S14 was rebuilt prior to his ownership. Recent compression test shows 185-190psi across all 4 cylinders. Other recent repairs include radiator, belts and engine oil change. Although the engine exhibits a long crank when hot it idles smoothly, accelerates as it should and easily passed California emissions test within the last 90 days
- Power is sent to the rear wheels through a 5-speed manual transmission.
- Manually adjustable sport seats equipped with adjustable thigh support are equipped for both driver and passenger. The car does not have the original radio; it has been replaced by a single disc aftermarket head unit with a removable face. Carpet and upholstery are in great shape with some wear on the outer thigh bolsters from entering and exiting.
- The 5 speed manual transmission was fitted with a new clutch and flywheel during current ownership with documentation within the last 2000 miles. It shifts smoothly and hydraulic clutch engagement feels as it should. The mounts and flex discs appear to be in great condition.
- The 2.3 liter S14 engine was recently rebuilt.
- A new clutch and flywheel were added 200 miles ago.
- 15”X7” BMW style 5 wheels equipped with 205/55r15 Kumho Ecsta tires.
- Bilstein dampers at all four corners.
- Original owners manual included.
- 180-190 PSI on all four cylinders.
- Non-cracked dashboard included with sale.
- Suspension joints are in great shape, as pictured below.
- Original tool kit included.
- The car drives extremely well, and tracks straight at high speeds.
- The currently fitted dashboard is cracked, but a non-cracked one will be included in the sale.
- Sunroof is functional, but may need a slight adjustment soon.
- The right rear interior C-pillar trim is missing.
- Tachometer reads slightly high when cold.
Maintenance and Modifications:
- S14 Engine was recently rebuilt.
- Radiator, belt, and fluid service just carried out.
- Clean California title.
- 177k miles shown
- Vin: WBSAK0308J2196777
- Sold via dealer consignment, meaning California buyers should expect to pay applicable fees such as sales tax.